Planned mileage: 21.5 (+40min tempo)
Completed mileage: 11 miles
Looks like I was pretty far away from my goal.
From last week’s update, I mentioned that I was having some back issues with a couple of my training run. Thus, I decided to dial it back a
little bit lot to recover. Also, work was quite intense this week. The program that I direct will soon start accepting applications for next year’s cohort so there’s a lot of planning that I have to do. Also, the spring semester has started for the course that I teach. My procrastinating ass had to get all the crap ready for the course (lectures, syllabi, rosters, etc.). Basically, I finished all of that stuff at 11:00 pm on Saturday night for a Sunday class. Lol, at an email that I received from a student a few days before the class.
I don’t see your course on blackboard. If you can look into that problem that would be great.
I do not know if I should be impressed by the student’s initiative to reach out before our first class or annoyed by the student’s presumption that I would use Blackboard for my course.
Ok, let’s get into this thing.
Oh, one more thing: there’s like 1.5 months left until the UnitedNYCHalf. I really need to decide if I’m going to do this thing or not. Well, I guess it is up to my body.
I made a couple of changes from my previous week:
- Obviously, I did not run as much.
- I decided to skip some of my near-daily stretches, especially glute extensions.
- Since I have a full-time desk job (and probably slouch way too much), I started doing quick stretches every 60 – 90 minutes in my office.
Hopefully, these changes were not made in vain.
Planned: 50min X-train
Completed: 4.5mi, stretching, strength training
This was a very tough one, and I felt quite defeated afterward. I did this run on a treadmill and had to walk multiple times. I pretty much had to walk every 0.5 miles.
I even adjusted Crunch Fitness-FiDi’s motivation wall.
Planned: Interval 8X400m
Completed: Not a damn thing
There was way too much work that I had to complete between Monday and Tuesday so there was no way that I could fit in this run.
Completed: A few sprints
I had planned to combine Wednesday’s and Thursday’s run by doing the interval workout and following it with the 3-mile run. Once again work got in the way. No, wait. TV AND work got in the way. While working on some stuff for work, I stayed up watching Ken Burns’ documentary about the Vietnam War.
Around 8pm, I decided to put on my running clothes and do the intervals (at the minimal) before finishing work. Everything went wrong with this run.
- It was super windy and cold along the Hudson River, and I really needed another layer.
- Both my phone and Apple Watch died, so I could not really keep track of my times for the intervals. Lately, I’ve been noticing that my iPhone has been dying a lot.
- I packed the dumb tights that always seem to fall down when I run. After the third or fourth interval, I became so annoyed with constantly pulling up my tights while running. At that point, I pretty was over it. One, two, three strikes, and I was out.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday:
Planned: 3m, Rest, and 9mi
In my defense, I did plan to do some weight training on Friday. But I decided to go hang out with a friend in Hell’s Kitchen, which actually became a little bit of a shitshow. However, what is a Friday night in NYC without some fuckshit?
Rise bar was not playing around with its drink prep on Friday night.
Although my long run for this week was supposed to be 9mi, I thought that it would be better to do the 6.2mi instead. Since I have been having back issues and did not want to risk fucking it up more, I did a very easy run on the treadmill. I pretty much alternated between a very, very slow mile and a very slow mile. It did feel nice to finally complete a planned run.
Well, that’s my ho-hum week of “training”.
Goals for the week:
- Let’s complete a full week of planned training activities.
- A few posts ago, I mentioned that I joined a couple of running clubs. I really want to try to do a run with Harlem Runs on either Monday or Wednesday. Fingers crossed.
Have y’all seen either (or both) documentary about the Fyre Festival? I’m sorry, but how do we live in a country where someone can defraud folks multiple times and only receive six years in prison? Whereas, we have folks serving DECADES for minor drug offenses. Hell, the Billy creep was defrauding people while he was out on bail for his OTHER CHARGES of fraud. Don’t most people try NOT to commit crimes while on bail?
Did you like the Netflix or Hulu version more?